Derek was elected to Dáil Éireann in February 2011.
- Recently Derek was Appointed to represent his party to review the Irish Constitution by the Irish Prime Minister (An Taoiseach.)
- Derek is currently on the Oireachtas Education Committee. The Deputy has a particular interest in Adult Education.
- He was first elected to South Dublin County Council (SDCC) in 1999 and was re-elected in 2004 and 2009.
- Derek has also served as a member of the Oireachtas Committee on Health & Children.
Some other facts about Deputy Derek Keating:
Derek was born and raised in Ballyfermot, Dublin, in a local authority dwelling with both parents (mother deceased recently), and is the eldest of six surviving children. Derek has four sisters and one brother. He and his parents participated in community, sports, local organisations and the church. Derek was educated at St Michael's Primary School and De La Salle Primary and Secondary Schools, Ballyfermot, and later qualified as a Sports and Fitness Instructor, specialising in the fitness of children and teenagers.
- Involved in charity work in Lucan and Dublin, and is particularly dedicated to suicide prevention, representing people with special needs and working with our young people in training of leadership, health and fitness, and education.
- Married to Anne, a retired primary school Deputy Principal and they have two adult daughters, Niamh and Sinéad.
- A sports fanatic of Soccer, Rugby and Ireland’s National Sport GAA. His own sport was Athletics.
- Keen player of the guitar and keen singer.
- A great fan of The Beatles and James Taylor.
- Committed and active in his parish church.