I have been your Fine Gael TD in Dublin South since 1997 and have served as party spokesperson in key portfolios - Local Government; Health & Children; Transport; Arts Sports & Tourism and most recently spokesperson on Competition & Consumer Protection.
As a former teacher of economics, I have long been an advocate of greater competition and have been particularly active in campaigning for a more efficient transport system and increased bus competition. I believe that producers as well as consumers can benefit from the lower prices that greater competition can bring, reducing costs, protecting jobs and promoting export-led growth.
In the current crisis, the prime concern of Government must be the public good and not the vested interests of old. On an island country with a small domestic market there is a natural tendency for higher prices and uncompetitive situations to become established, so it behoves any Irish government to be ever vigilant in protecting consumers.
Political Career :
I was first elected to Dáil Éireann in 1997 and re-elected in 2002, 2007, 2011.I received the highest vote of any female candidate in the 2011 General Election.
- Member of the Fine Gael Front Bench: 2001-2010 Served as party spokesperson on Local Development, the National Drugs Strategy and Dublin Traffic: 1997-2001 Housing & Local Government: 2001 Health & Children: 2002-2004 Transport: 20042007 Arts, Sport and Tourism: 2007-2010 Competition & Consumer Protection: 2010
- Dublin/Dun Laoghaire County Council Member: 1983-2003 and served as Chairperson from 1995-1996
- Served on the following bodies at various times as a county councillor: Eastern Health Board, Dublin Regional Authority, Dublin Transport Initiative Advisory Committee, Dublin Healthy Cities Project, Joint Dublin county councils' taxi advisory committee.
- Member of AWEPA (Association of European Parliamentarians for Africa) and currently a member of the Irish AWEPA executive committee.
- Mmeber of Womens' All-Party Interest Group on Development and Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights and newly-appointed Convenor of this group, which is also a member group of the European Parliamentary Forum (EPF) on Population and Development.
- Dublin Representative on the World Health Organisation Multi-City Action Plan Programme which sought to develop sustainable cities.
- Member of Fine Gael delegation at the Forum for Peace and Reconciliation. Established to encourage dialogue among parliamentarians on the Northern Irish conflict: 1994-1996..
I graduated with a B.A. in Economics & Politics and a HDip in Education from Trinity College Dublin. I taught Business Studies at St.Tiernans Community School and Economics at Mount Anville Convent before I entered politics.
I am married with three grown-up children, and I live in the Dundrum area.
I represent the constituency of Dublin South. This comprises, but is not exclusive to, Clonskeagh, Windy Arbour, Dundrum, Milltown, Churchtown, Nutgrove, Ballinteer, Rathfarnham, Ballyroan, Knocklyon, Ballycullen, Firhouse, Stepaside, Glencullen, Sandyford, Leopardstown, Kilgobbin, Carrickmines, Kiltiernan, Cherrywood, Cabinteely, Foxrock, Stillorgan, Kilmacud and Mount Merrion.