Building a Better Health Service
Ensuring that citizens have access to affordable, quality healthcare.
Fine Gael wants to create a health service where people have universal access to affordable, quality healthcare in a timely manner. We can deliver more health services in the community so people get a good range of care close to home. We will increase bed capacity and staff numbers so hospital care can be provided in a timely manner. We can and must promote healthy lifestyles to support people staying well and living longer, healthier lives.
We will continue the progress made to date, for example:
- Project Ireland 2040: We are providing €10.9 billion to invest in infrastructure, equipment and additional service capacity for the public health sector over the next 10 years.
- Sláintecare: In Budget 2019 over €200m was allocated to directly support a range of additional services, including initiatives proposed in the Sláintecare Report and committed to in the Sláintecare Implementation Strategy.
- Bed Capacity: Over the past 18 months, an additional 240 hospital beds have been opened and a further 78 additional beds are planned for 2019.
- Primary Care Centres: There are now 126 in operation, with over 80 further sites in development.
- 8th Amendment: We repealed the 8th Amendment with 66% of voters favouring repeal.