Working to Make Our Older Years Better Years
Catering for the needs of a more diverse, ageing population.
As we invest in services and supports for older age, we must ensure that they benefit older people in the fullness of their lives.
We must look further than health and social care and recognise also the essential contribution and powerful role of older men and women in and for our society.
We want to deliver the following:
- Increases in the State Pension.
- Reduce the cost of medicines by introducing an annual cap on the Drugs Payment Scheme and reducing prescription charges for medical card holders.
- Fully protect the Free Travel pass for all pensioners and work with private and public operators to keep services operating on as many routes as possible.
- Increasing funding for homecare packages and home help every year.
- €385m in capital funding for the replacement and refurbishment of 90 public nursing homes across the country.
In Budget 2017 we have increased the State Pension by €5, from March 2017. The €25 cap on prescription charges was also reduced, for the over 70s, to €20, with effect from 1 March. In Health, overall funding for services for older people has been increased to €765 million, an €82 million increase on the amount provided in last years’ service plan.
- Citizens Information Checklist: Entitlements for Older People – citizensinformation.ie sets out the range of entitlements to which older people are entitled.