Strong Communities and Balanced Regional Development
Ensuring that all parts of Ireland can share in our prosperity.
Over the past decade, population has increased in every county, and employment is growing in each and every region across the state. Fine Gael believes in a Republic of Opportunity that is built around people, communities, commercial and social enterprises. We will continue to prioritise balanced regional development to ensure all parts of our country share in our prosperity.
We will continue the progress made to date, for example:
- Jobs: Over three out of every five jobs have been created outside Dublin since the Government was formed.
- Project Ireland 2040: Launched a new twenty year spatial strategy backed up with a €116 billion National Development Plan which will help achieve balanced regional development.
- Rural Regeneration and Development Fund: As part of Project Ireland 2040 we have committed to providing an additional €1 billion for a new Rural Regeneration and Development Fund, this will provide investment to support rural renewal for suitable projects in towns and villages with a population of less than 10,000, and outlying areas.
- Town and Village Renewal Scheme: Since 2016 this scheme, alongside the CLÁR programme, has provided significant investment to over 1,700 rural towns and villages communities.
- Broadband: In mid-2016 only half of premises in Ireland had access to high-speed broadband, now 75% do.