Press Officer (Maternity Leave Cover)
Fine Gael is seeking to recruit a Press Officer (Maternity Leave Cover). The Press Officer will be responsible for assisting in the running of the Fine Gael Press Office. The position will be based in Leinster House with a requirement to be on-call for rostered weekends. The position requires the provision of support to Fine Gael Parliamentary Party Members as the news cycle demands. The Press Officer will report to the Head of Press and Communications.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and prepare communications content for Parliamentary Party Members and the party;
- Secure Parliamentary Party Members airtime on broadcast media (TV/radio);
- Draft briefing documents and assist Parliamentary Party Members ahead of broadcast shows;
- Answer media queries as they arise; Write and distribute press releases to target audiences;
- Identify opportunities for Parliamentary Party members.
- Event management of conferences, media doorsteps and party events around the country.
Skills, Experience, Requirements:
- Honesty, trustworthiness and confidentiality are paramount.
- In-depth working knowledge of all media (digital, print, broadcast, national, regional, specialist) – its environment, operation and news-gathering techniques along with a full range of media campaigning techniques.
- Understanding of the Irish political landscape and the values of Fine Gael.
- Experience working within the media industry or public relations;
- Excellent communication (written & verbal), interpersonal & influencing skills.
- An ability to develop and maintain professional relationships;
- A willingness to work unsociable hours and weekends;
- Be dynamic, flexible, accurate and analytical with excellent attention to detail.
- An ability to work on their own initiative with a demonstrable capacity for initiating and delivering an agreed communications programme;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in an often highly pressurised environment.
Location: Leinster House, Dublin 2
Apply By: Wednesday 8th November 2023 (5 pm)
Position Title: Press Officer Reporting to Head of Press and Communications
Contract Type: Full Time, Temporary Contract (Maternity Leave Cover)
Salary: Depending on Experience.
Start Date: Immediately
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to forward their Cover Letter and CV (in one PDF) to email@example.com by the closing date 5pm Wednesday 8th November with the subject line “Press Officer