Harris welcomes launch of world’s biggest ever survey on violence against women

5th March 2014 - Sarah Meade

Fine Gael TD for Wicklow and European Parliament Candidate for Ireland South, Simon Harris today (Wednesday) welcomed the launch of a new report by the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) on the world’s biggest-ever survey on violence against women. More than 42,000 women across the 28 member-states were asked about their experiences.

 

Speaking after attending the launch of the report earlier, Deputy Harris said: ‘I welcome this report and believe its findings to be both worrying and of significant importance’.

 

“The survey confirms and highlights that sexual violence against women and girls is a widespread issue right across Europe. Eight per cent of Irish women said they had experienced sexual violence since the age of fifteen, while the EU average is eleven per cent.

 

“Just over a quarter of Irish women reported abuse, which is below the EU average of one third. However these figures are still extremely high. We must tackle the issue of violence against women being a taboo, in order to encourage reporting of these incidents.

 

“Last week in the Dáil I sought clarity on when we would see new legislation to tackle domestic violence. I am very pleased the Taoiseach confirmed that this would be put in motion in the coming months.

 

“The launch of today’s report presents a new insight into this area in Ireland and across the EU and also highlights the importance of work done by organisations such as the National Women’s Council of Ireland, Safe Ireland and the Rape Crisis Network.”

 

ENDS

Stay Up To Date With Fine Gael