Edward Timmins has been a member of Fine Gael since the 1980’s and a Fine Gael member of Wicklow County Council since his first election in 2004.
Edward was born and raised in Baltinglass. Married with a daughter, he lives in Grangecon. A son of the late Godfrey, and younger brother of former TD Billy, he graduated as an Engineer from Trinity College, Dublin. He studied and worked in France, Germany and Switzerland, where he also learnt French and German, before returning to Ireland and qualifying as a Chartered Accountant. He works as a Finance Director in Blessington and was central to the company establishing operations in the UK, Spain and the US.
He was elected to Wicklow County Council in June 2004, and was re-elected in 2009, 2014 and 2019. He enjoys travel, sport, politics and spending time with his family.
Edward was elected as Cathaoirleach of Wicklow County Council, for 2017-18.
His priorities as a Councillor include:
- Greater autonomy for local Government including greater spending power. As Chariman of WCC he helped more funding to be divested to Districts, with Councillors having a say over this spend.
- More efficient use of spending of public money by the Council
- Ensuring that Wicklow gets its fair share of national funding especially for housing.
- Ensuring that the municipal districts have a greater say over how funding is spent.
- Planning for locals in rural areas
- Removing restrictions on who can buy a house in Wicklow. Some of these restrictions apply to people who live or are from County Wicklow.
- That the proposed new N81 from Tallaght to Hollywood becomes a reality.
- Develop tourism in West and South West Wicklow .
- Support and understand businesses and help facilitate new business.
- Improved communication between the public and the Council.