Edward Timmins was born and raised in Baltinglass. Married with a daughter, he lives in Grangecon. A son of the late Godfrey, and younger brother of former TD Billy, he graduated as an Engineer from Trinity College, Dublin. He studied and worked in France, Germany and Switzerland, where he also learnt French and German, before returning to Ireland and qualifying as a Chartered Accountant. He works as a Finance Director in Blessington and was central to the company establishing operations in the UK, Spain and the US.
He is a former member of Young Fine Gael. He was elected to Wicklow County Council in June 2004. He enjoys travel, sport, politics and spending time with his family.
Edward was elected as Cathaoirleach of Wicklow County Council, for 2017-18.
His priorities as a Councillor include:
- More efficient use of spending of public money by the Council
- Ensuring that Wicklow gets its fair share of national funding especially for housing.
- Ensuring that the municipal districts have a greater say over how funding is spent.
- Planning for locals in rural areas
- Removing restrictions on who can buy a house in Wicklow. Some of these restrictions apply to people who live or are from county Wicklow.
- That the proposed new N81 from Tallaght to Hollywood becomes a reality.
- Develop tourism in West and South West Wicklow .
- Support and understand businesses and help facilitate new business.
- Improved communication between the public and the Council.