Senator Garret Ahearn
Garret was elected as a Member of Seanad Éireann in 2020, and as such, ceases to be a County Councillor. His replacement, John FitzGerald, will be co-opted at the earliest opportunity.
“It was an honour and privilege to represent the Clonmel Electoral Area at Tipperary County Council. With several challenges and opportunities facing the county at present, I continue to work for Clonmel and Tipperary as a strong and fresh voice.
My Priorities Are:
- Kickham Barracks & Sports Hub : Having secured investment funding, ensuring this transformative project will deliver real benefits soon for local residents, businesses and visitors to our town.
- Rural Regeneration : Working with local communities to deliver funding from the Rural Regeneration Fund, LEADER, Town & Village Renewal Scheme, Sports Capital Grants, Local Improvement Scheme, Community Enhancement Scheme & CLár
- Mental Health : Campaigning for Jigsaw to be based in Clonmel and to restore services lost over the past decade.
- Agriculture : Supporting our Agri Food Industry during Brexit. Working closely with the local farming organisations in Tipperary to protect and develop local agriculture.
- Investment in Education : Ensuring top class education for our young people through extra investment in Primary and Secondary Schools as well as in LIT Clonmel and the ETB.
- Rural Broadband : Making sure Government follows through on the commitment to roll-out high speed broadband nationwide.
News & Statements
List of workers eligible for tax reliefs must be reviewed to include other professionals – Ahearn
The disparity in flat rate expenses and how tax relief can be claimed by certain workers must be rectified to make it equitable, according to Fine Gael Senator Garret Ahearn.2nd June 2023
Employment reaches record levels – Ahearn
A record 2.61 million people are now in employment, with 100,000 new jobs created in the last 12 months, a Fine Gael Senator has said.24th May 2023
Decision to cease exports of Jameson to Russia is a positive development – Ahearn
The decision by Pernod Ricard to cease exports to Russia is a positive development and secures Ireland’s reputation as a world class drinks distiller, according to Garret Ahearn.12th May 2023
Jameson bottled 5 months ago in Dublin sold openly in Russia - Ahearn
Jameson whiskey bottled in Dublin last December is on open sale in Moscow, a Fine Gael Senator has said.9th May 2023
Pressure on to withdraw Jameson from Russian market – Ahearn
Comments made by the Ukrainian Ambassador to Ireland should focus corporate minds on the controversy surrounding the export of top Irish whiskey Jameson to Russia, a Fine Gael Senator said.1st May 2023
Staged Payments for Croí Cónaithe Fund Scheme would be game changer for prospective homeowners – Ahearn
The introduction of a staged payment to the Croí Cónaithe (Towns) Fund Scheme could be transformative for prospective homeowners, a Fine Gael Senator has said30th April 2023
Stop sending Jameson to Putin’s Russia – Ahearn
French drinks giant Pernod Ricard must immediately reverse their decision to restart exporting Jameson whiskey to Russia given the barbaric war the country is waging on Ukraine, Fine Gael Senator Garret Ahearn has said.27th April 2023
Budget 2023 is backing businesses by helping them pay energy bills this winter
Fine Gael is backing businesses and jobs in Budget 2023 with a range of measures that will help companies pay their energy bills this winter, said two Fine Gael Senators.27th September 2022
Farmers would be neglected and vulnerable under a Sinn Féin government – Ahearn
Farmers across Ireland would be in a vulnerable position under a Sinn Féin government, a Fine Gael Senator has said.23rd September 2022
Co. Tipperary/ 28 Old Church