Emer Higgins, TD
Emer Higgins is the Fine Gael spokesperson for Equality. She was elected as a TD for Dublin Mid West in the 2020 General Election.
Prior to that, Emer was an elected member of South Dublin County Council, representing the Clondalkin Electoral Area; her replacement on the Council is Cllr. Shirley O’Hara.
Having served as Leader of the Fine Gael group in the Council, Emer is a highly experienced Councillor and a dynamic young professional working locally as a business performance manager with an international payments company.
Passionate about supporting business and community development, Emer also considers health and wellness as being central to the enhancement of community life and is a strong advocate for greater innovation in the community.
As a keen proponent of good planning for West Dublin, Emer chairs the “Land-use, Planning and Transport” Strategic Policy Committee of South Dublin County Council. She supported the set-up of the Women In Business network in collaboration with the Local Enterprise Office. She also strongly supports initiatives to encourage students and women to choose technology and science careers.
Emer’s interest in politics stems from her student council days in Rathcoole in her teens, and later in University College Dublin.
Things you might not know about Emer:
- Was a Councillor from 2011 to 2020.
- Has represented the areas of Palmerstown, Lucan, Clondalkin, Newcastle and Rathcoole on South Dublin County Council.
- Holds a BA in Economics and Sociology.
- Community: Helped many families and community organisations and campaigned on local issues from bus services to community facilities, nursing homes to road improvement schemes and school places; also a founder member of Four Districts Fun Day.
- Sport & Recreation: Delivered exercise equipment for all parks across Lucan, Clondalkin, Palmerstown and Rathcoole, and a playground for Rathcoole. Campaigned for more sports, park and recreation facilities.
- Inclusion: Worked to deliver inclusion initiatives in local parks and libraries for people with additional needs. Actively campaigned for marriage equality.
- Tourism: Helped develop a Twinning Agreement with Tampa, Florida, and supported community groups to deliver a €3m investment for a museum at the Round Tower, Clondalkin.
- Travel: Emer loves to travel and experience new cultures, she once hiked along the Great Wall of China with the Irish Cancer Society and has visited places like Palestine and Kosovo.
- Music: Emer is a live music fan and has seen everyone from Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan, to Ed Sheeran, Snow Patrol, Oasis and local musician Dermot Kennedy.
News & Statements
Taxi drivers must be incentivised to work evenings and nights – Higgins
Transport authorities must explore further options to incentivise taxi drivers to work more evenings and nights to ensure safe travel for passengers, according to Fine Gael TD Emer Higgins.21st May 2023
Coeliacs entitled to 20% tax back on gluten free food purchases – Higgins
Coeliacs should be aware that they are entitled to claim back 20% of the cost of gluten free food purchases, a Fine Gael TD has said.16th May 2023
Housing adaptation grants for older people and those with disabilities should be increased in line with construction costs – Higgins
The housing aid and adaptation grants issued by Local Authorities to older people and those with disabilities should be increased to reflect the rising cost of construction, a Fine Gael TD has said.2nd May 2023
Improved public transport links must be focus of demand management plans – Higgins
Improved public transport infrastructure must be in place before a potential tax on motorists is even considered, according to a Fine Gael TD.18th April 2023
New legislation will ensure companies achieve gender balance on boards – Higgins
New legislation will ensure companies achieve gender balance on boards and that women are represented at the highest levels of business, according to Fine Gael TD Emer Higgins.8th March 2023
Businesses left with bad debt thanks to Sinn Féin’s unpaid bills- Higgins
Sinn Féin showed their true colours to local businesses by refusing to pay a poster printing company a bill of more than €5,000 despite being pursued for years, Fine Gael TD Emer Higgins has said.14th February 2023
Social media companies must face up to their responsibilities - Higgins
Social media companies must face up to their responsibilities, Fine Gael TD Emer Higgins has said.7th February 2023
Close call – Beware of fraudulent HSE ‘close contact’ scam text
There has been a rise in fraud and phishing scams from people posing as major state organisations, with the latest being a fraudulent close contact notification falsely claiming to be from the HSE, a Fine Gael TD has reported.14th January 2023
New period poverty campaign needed to encourage local authorities to spread awareness – Higgins
A new campaign on period poverty aimed at local authorities is much needed to spread awareness, a Fine Gael TD has said.29th December 2022
Co. Dublin. D24 R97E