Emer Higgins, TD
Emer was elected as a TD for Dublin Mid West in the 2020 General Election.
Prior to that, Emer was an elected member of South Dublin County Council, representing the Clondalkin Electoral Area; her replacement on the Council is Cllr. Shirley O’Hara.
Having served as Leader of the Fine Gael group in the Council, Emer is a highly experienced Councillor and a dynamic young professional working locally as a business performance manager with an international payments company.
Passionate about supporting business and community development, Emer also considers health and wellness as being central to the enhancement of community life and is a strong advocate for greater innovation in the community.
As a keen proponent of good planning for West Dublin, Emer chairs the “Land-use, Planning and Transport” Strategic Policy Committee of South Dublin County Council. She supported the set-up of the Women In Business network in collaboration with the Local Enterprise Office. She also strongly supports initiatives to encourage students and women to choose technology and science careers.
Emer’s interest in politics stems from her student council days in Rathcoole in her teens, and later in University College Dublin.
Things you might not know about Emer:
- Was a Councillor from 2011 to 2020.
- Has represented the areas of Palmerstown, Lucan, Clondalkin, Newcastle and Rathcoole on South Dublin County Council.
- Holds a BA in Economics and Sociology.
- Community: Helped many families and community organisations and campaigned on local issues from bus services to community facilities, nursing homes to road improvement schemes and school places; also a founder member of Four Districts Fun Day.
- Sport & Recreation: Delivered exercise equipment for all parks across Lucan, Clondalkin, Palmerstown and Rathcoole, and a playground for Rathcoole. Campaigned for more sports, park and recreation facilities.
- Inclusion: Worked to deliver inclusion initiatives in local parks and libraries for people with additional needs. Actively campaigned for marriage equality.
- Tourism: Helped develop a Twinning Agreement with Tampa, Florida, and supported community groups to deliver a €3m investment for a museum at the Round Tower, Clondalkin.
- Travel: Emer loves to travel and experience new cultures, she once hiked along the Great Wall of China with the Irish Cancer Society and has visited places like Palestine and Kosovo.
- Music: Emer is a live music fan and has seen everyone from Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan, to Ed Sheeran, Snow Patrol, Oasis and local musician Dermot Kennedy.