Skip to main content

Laois to receive €240,000 for Community Involvement Scheme to upgrade local roads – Flanagan

23rd May 2013 - Charles Flanagan TD

Fine Gael Laois TD Charlie Flanagan welcomed the allocation of €240,000 by the Department of Transport for maintaining and repairing roads in Laois. This pilot scheme, which is being rolled out nationally, will see direct community input into necessary road maintenance projects through the provision of labour, machinery or additional funding.

“I welcome the announcement by the Minister of State for Transport, Alan Kelly TD, of the Community Involvement Scheme which gives the authority to local communities to prioritise road maintenance and improvement projects. €240,000 has been allocated by the Department of Transport to Laois to improve 14 local roads and roadways in housing estates across the county.

“While the Department is providing 80% funding, the community will make up the remaining 20% of the funding required by providing labour, machinery or other forms of benefit.

“Given the difficult economic climate, local authorities have a limited budget within which to repair and maintain roads across the county. The priority of a local authority’s repair programme tends to be on maintaining the main roads in the county. However, the Community Involvement Scheme gives the power to local communities in Laois to identify lesser trafficked roads that need to be repaired or maintained which would not usually be considered for funding.

“The Community Involvement Scheme is a prime example of how this Government is achieving more with less by introducing innovative ways of getting the country back on its feet.”

Stay Up To Date With Fine Gael